Monday, April 23, 2007

What, Me...Start a Home Business?


Have you ever thought about starting your own business but didn't know where to start? Well look no further, over the next few weeks we'll be talking about ideas and what it takes to start your own home business. So get out your pad and pen and get ready to take some notes. This is just another step for the man/woman in the mirror.

Most folks in the workforce dream at one time or another of starting their own business. Have you ever heard the phrase.

"You need to fire your boss"? Many of us would like to do that! Yet when it comes right down to it, most will never venture to make it on their own. Even worse, statistics show many who do venture out on their own, fail within the first five years.

To succeed, you must have a passion and a plan.
Enter me. At the age of 45, I found myself an unemployed Purchase Manager as my textile factory shutdown. I looked all over to find a job of equal money and/or benefits. During a period of high unemployment, I was not successful in my search. Thus I began to look for ways to make money from home or starting my own business.

In my quest for my own business, I found that franchises offer a simple pre-packaged business or money making idea.

But most franchises would require a million dollar investment. I found myself looking elsewhere.

However, on the internet, there are literally hundreds of home business ideas from which to choose which will suit every personality and all levels of financing. From internet marketing to growing your own profitable home garden to sell gourmet foods to restaurants and catering services.


While brainstorming and searching the net, I found some of the following ideas for a home based business:

* mobile windshield service
* vending service
* answering service
* multi-level marketing (mlm)(I recommend SFI, a company with a 20 year track record)
* floral plant service for offices and hospitals
* pooper scooper service
* dog walking service
* gift basket service
* income tax service
* pool cleaning service
* landscaping service
* pet grooming service
* internet marketing
* IAHBE

Hopefully the ideas above will give some fresh ideas of your own. Once you do have your idea, it is a good idea to find someone else who has had success in this business. Then wherever possible, copy them as much as possible.

Whatever your choice for a home business, once you have made the decision to go forward. Go for it!! Do not accept no!

Remember to tell yourself "Failure is not an option". Too many businesses fail because the owner lacked confidence or passion. Like the now deceased coach Jimmy Valavano told his team many times: "Never, ever ever give up!!".

You MUST be passionate about your future, after all it's you that have to live it. So go for broke and pull out all the stops.

Good luck in all of your self endeavers and don't forget to enjoy your new found freedom!

Until next time, keep reaching for your fullest potential!

No comments: